“There are better starters than me, but I’m a stronger finisher “- USAIN BOLT
With less than a day left for the 2017 UPSC civil services mains examination, there is an obvious state of confusion and peril amongst candidates. Aspirants must be in distress and all the hard work they’ve put into studies until now, are at stake of nervousness and impatience.
Let’s discuss a few quick tips to get over the fear of Mains exam tomorrow
- Seek your future – Being imaginative is necessary at times and with UPSC mains on head, becoming a future seeker is the need of the hour. Think of the successful career lying ahead of this selection process, keep intact your confidence and believe in the patience you’ve put into preparations. ‘Imagine with your entire mind, believe with all your heart and achieve with all your might’!
- Keep your motivations intact – Always try to motivate yourself because there is no place for mistakes at the last juncture. By now you must know, what makes you feel determined and hence, focus on it. Let sounds of laughter and joy, keep your spirits high.
- Do not panic – This is a crucial juncture and you wouldn’t be able to perform your best in a state of panic. Nobody knows everything and everybody lacks in something. Our perfection lies in the beauty of how we carry our imperfection. So, please don’t underestimate yourself, and believe that you are the best even if you don’t already know.
- Do not try to revise the entire syllabus anymore – Plan a few hours for revising your most important notes, mind-maps, important facts and figures, dates and named quotes. This will help the ‘highlighted facts’ stay intact in your memory and you can frame your answers well. Relax your mind for rest of the day and let it ease for tomorrow’s quest to crack UPSC.
- Have light frequent meals and stay hydrated to keep you feeling fit and healthy – Prefer eating light and sip your mug of Coffee (if, you may prefer) before leaving for examination, as it might make you feel fresh and activated, while writing. Consume chocolates(not excessively) as they are known for being the best remedies to understand what you are revising and help you remember things while writing in a better way.
- Sleep well! – Proper rest is very important to keep you feeling afresh while writing the exam. And before sleeping, remember that the examination you are going to appear for, will lead you towards achieving a dream; almost every Indian would have aimed for. Civil Services and the respect involved in the job have its own euphoria. Smile and sleep well!
- Practice a 30 min writing session for your speed – It will help you maintain the momentum the very next day.
- An optimistic approach & motivation to succeed is pivotal to success in mains – Don’t let thoughts like ‘will I be able to remember the answers when I need to write?’, ‘Will I do well?’, ‘What if the paper is tough?’, ‘What if I get questions from what little I skipped on?’, etc distract you. Overcome these confusions as most of you would be feeling exactly the same thing. Success is in your ‘Karma’ and your dedication will make all your dreams come true.
- Avoid last minute changes in approach – Don’t make last moment changes in your writing style, pattern or any related strategy as by now your mind is accustomed to the set style of preparation.
- Last but not the very least, Prepare your exam kit – Check your admit card, your writing tools and other needful things. Locate your exam centre today itself, if you haven’t already, to avoid last minute delays.
Important Tip – Before writing the examination, check your booklet properly, read instructions carefully and then start writing your paper. Read the question twice before attempting answer. Try to answer all questions. If you don’t know the answer of any question, don’t hesitate and answer other questions to the best of your knowledge and reasoning. A question always carries a story behind, so if you don’t know the answer, skip the question and start your quest to find that story after you have completed the questions you already know. Keep faith, you are doing your best already.
Take pride in how far you’ve come and have faith in how far you can go. So, don’t take stress, Do your very best & forget the rest!