Those who have cleared UPSC Mains 2017 are yet to face the final challenge, the interview stage of Civil Services Exam. Every candidate must be aware about the Detailed Application Form which the candidate is asked to fill and is mandate to submit before appearing for the Interview. Candidates must know that most of the questions asked in UPSC Interview by the board of competent and unbiased observers are based on Detailed Application Form, and therefore, it requires utmost attention and care while filling it up.
Union Public Service Commission releases the Detailed Application Form right after the Preliminary exam and make it available for the students who qualify Prelims.
Here are some points to remember while you fill your Detailed Application Form
- The form is quite large and has 8 parts and each has to be filled completely online on the official UPSC website
- Duly filled form needs to be printed and couriered to the UPSC office
- Candidates should sign the DAF at all pages in the space given by the UPSC
- Candidates should affix a passport size photograph of theirs, similar to the photograph displayed in DAF
- Affix a central recruitment stamp worth Rs.200/- in the space mentioned. Get it cancelled using the post-office seal which should clearly mark the date and post office name
- Attach all necessary certificates mentioned by UPSC along with the DAF. For general candidates the certificates needed include Class 10th mark-list to prove DOB and Degree-Certificate to prove your eligibility. The certificates attached should be attested – either by a gazetted officer or self-attested with date. While the candidates who belong to SC, ST or OBC (Non Creamy Layer) should enclose a copy of certificate to support their claim.
- As the name suggests, the form seeks detailed Information about the candidate stating from Name, place of origin to interests, hobbies, education background, occupation, etc.
- Candidates are suggested to thoroughly read and understand the instructions before filling up the form
- The Detailed Application form summarizes all the information of a candidate in the summary sheet, which is referred by the interviewer at the time of interview, and therefore every written point must be rechecked twice and has to authentic.
Now comes the question, how to fill the form?
It is advisable for all the candidates to attend 3 to 4 mock interviews before appear for the final quest. Almost every academy is offering mock interview sessions now, so we would suggest you to opt for the one and take the experts’ advice because you cannot afford to fall back at this stage now.
As per our research, and as we heard from the toppers themselves, Chanakya IAS Academy provided mock interview session in an ambience which is akin to the actual interview and the board members of the academy includes retired or currently serving bureaucrats, renowned academicians and highly qualified professional from different fields. The Academy ask the candidates to fill the Detailed Application Form which is exactly the same as UPSC provides, and the panel member closely examine the candidates’ detailed application form, and based on that, test their aptitude, logical reasoning, expression of knowledge and overall personality. After the interview session, the Academy also provides feedback session, where the panel members suggest them the right way to fill the form and present themselves at the UPSC Interview and also hint candidates at their major shortcomings. Although most of the academies provide the same kind of experience, even if we pick Vajiram or Rau’s, toppers recommended their mock interview session too, but the panel member is what matters the most, as this is why we would recommend Chanakya IAS Academy after a comparative analysis.
Now, lastly, but not the least; how to fill DAF is perhaps the most important part of your IAS preparation. So mock interviews are undoubtedly important, but still, we would suggest you to take up the previously filled Detailed Application Form by successful candidates and see how it has been filled earlier.
- First of all, fill this form very honestly. If you really have any interest in a particular sports, only then write it, and then read about it; the history of that particular sports, origin, in which all countries it is most famous, associated famous personality, or if something is currently in news about it. Read everything, because the panel might ask you anything about that sport
- Secondly, if you are writing anything in your interest section, make sure you have genuine interest in that subject, be it a game, music, art, book or anything. And read about it; get a thorough knowledge about it
- Choose your medium of language wisely, choose the medium in which you are comfortable; remember, UPSC is not all biased with any medium
- Provide the right optional subject that you have chosen and prepared for as once entered wrong cannot be changed later
- Fill your educational and employment details very carefully and it is advised to read once after filling the form, as you will be expected to have knowledge on what you will write
- The Service and cadre preferences are among the very important fields to be filled in the DAF. Candidates are advised to think carefully before filling the service preferences and the cadre preferences as once filled and submitted they cannot change it.
We hope, by now, most of your doubts and queries regarding filling up the DAF form has been answered. Still, mock interviews are very much recommended as the experts’ guidance is always an added advantage. So go for it without a miss!
All the very best for your Interview!