UPSC Civil Services Examination rigorously tests the candidates through its extensive 3 stages; Prelims, Mains and Interview. Where the first 2 stages aim to test the knowledge, explanation skills, representation skills of opinions, and logical reasoning of the candidate; Interview stage aims to test the suitability of the candidate for the extremely responsible job position; and therefore the final stage is the test of personality more than the knowledge. After the self-introduction questions based on Detailed Application Form, the UPSC board begins grilling the candidate to test their ability to handle conflict situations in a calm and composed manner. UPSC board is not always too serious; they can adopt some humorous tactics to grill the candidate and to check how smartly they can answer some witty questions. You will agree with us after reading these Questions asked in IAS Interview.
From the data of some previously held interviews, we have compiled top 30 witty and humorous questions asked by UPSC board in the IAS Interview. And not only that, see how well the candidates dealt with those tricky questions and got selected.
- You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night, it’s raining heavily, when suddenly you pass by a bus stop, and you see three people waiting for a bus: An old lady who looks as if she is about to die; an old friend who once saved your life and the perfect partner you have been dreaming about. Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing very well that there could only be one passenger in your car?
Ans: I would give the car to my friend and tell him to drive the old lady to the hospital, while I wait at the bus stop with my perfect partner.
- Bay of Bengal is in which state?
Ans: Liquid state
- Twins (Adarsh and Anupam) were born in May but their birthday is in June. How’s this possible?
Ans: May is the name of the town
- Can you make 7 an even number?
Ans: yes, remove ‘s’ from it!
- What looks like half apple?
Ans: The other half
- If I run away with your sister, what would you do?
Ans: My sister cannot find anyone better than you!
- He ordered a cup of coffee, placed it before the candidate and asked, ‘What is before you’?
Ans: Tea (Wondering why? The question was “What is before you (U – alphabet)! Reply was “TEA” (T – alphabet) Alphabet. “T” was before Alphabet “U”)
To prepare yourself for such tricky questions asked in IAS Interview and develop an ability to face the competent board members without loosing confidence and getting anxious, we recommend you to enroll for the Mock Interview and get the guidance from the experts in the field. Click Here for the details
- What if one morning you woke up and found that you were pregnant? (asked from a female candidate)
Ans: I will be very excited and take an off, to celebrate the good news with my husband.
- If you had three apples and four oranges in one hand and four apples and three oranges in the other hand, what would you have?
Ans: Very large Hands
- How can a man go eight days without sleep?
Ans: He sleeps at night
- How can you lift an elephant with one hand?
Ans: It is not a problem, since you will never find an elephant with one hand
- If it took eight men ten hours to build a wall, how long would it take four men to build it?
Ans: No time at all as it is already built
- A cat had three kittens: January, March and May. What was the mother’s name.
Ans: What. It stated ‘WHAT’ was the mother’s name
- What is the opposite of Nag Panchami?
Ans: Nag did not punch me
- James bond was pushed out of an airplane without any parachute. He survived. How?
Ans: The plane was on a runway
- If 2 is company and 3 is the crowd, then what will be 4 & 5?
Ans: 4 & 5 there is always 9
- If you throw a red stone into the blue water, then what will happen?
Ans: The stone will be wet and will drown
- How can you drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking?
Ans: Concrete floors are very hard to crack!
- What happened when the wheel was invented?
Ans: ‘It caused a revolution’
- What can you never eat for breakfast?
Ans: Lunch & Dinner
- Where Lord Rama would have celebrated his “First Diwali”?
If you are thinking of Ayodhya, Mithila, Lanka, etc., the correct answer is:
Ans: Diwali is celebrated as a mark of Lord Krishna Killing Narakasura. In Dusavatar, Krishnavatar comes after Ramavatar. So, Lord Rama would not have celebrated the Diwali at all!
- “This is your last question of the Please tell me the exact position of the centre of this table where u have kept your files.”
Candidate confidently put one of his fingers at some point at the table and told that this was the central point at the table. Interviewer asked how u got to know that this being the central point of this table, then he answers quickly that
Ans: “sir u r not likely to ask any more question, as it was the last question
that u promised to ask”
- A murdered is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven’t eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?
Ans: Room number three, because in three years the Lion will have died by now with Hunger
- Interviewer: have a cup of sugarless tea adding a teaspoonful of sugar.
Ans: Candidate added a teaspoonful of sugar into the tea cup and stirred well.
He then took one more teaspoonful of sugar and ate it to sweeten his mouth.
After sweetening his mouth, he started drinking the cup of tea which made the tea taste SUGARLESS (We feel sugarless to tea/coffee after consuming sweets)
- What is that no one has ever seen which never was but always will be?
- What often falls but never gets hurt?
- What 3 letters change a girl into a woman?
- What is the difference between ‘here’ and ‘there’?
Ans: Letter ‘T’
- Jamie looked at his reflection on the window mirror of the 45th floor. Driven by an irrational impulse, he made a leap through the window on the other side. Yet Jamie did not encounter even a single bruise. How can this be possible if he did neither landed on a soft surface nor used a parachute?
Ans. Jamie is a window cleaner who was tired after cleaning the windows on the 45th floor and thus leaped inside the building.
- This is an unusual paragraph. I’m curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual, though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!
Ans: The letter ‘e’, which is the most common letter used in the English language, does not appear even once in the paragraph.